The current weather conditions could have a huge impact on homes, properties and businesses. With the wet weather still continuing we have provided some advice on how to be prepared and what you need to do in the unfortunate event of any damage to your property.
- Securely fasten all doors and windows
- Check trees and any overhanging branches that could blow off and cause damage
- Lock away loose objects in your outside spaces like garden furniture, bikes, children’s toys, bins
- Secure weak fences and posts to reduce possible damage to your property and other peoples
- Park vehicles in garages, if available, and clear from large buildings, trees, walls and fences
- If you can check your gutters are clear, this should ideally be done once a year to prevent overflowing rainwater and property damage
- Check all aerials and satellite dishes are secure
- Remove loose roof tiles before any forecasted storms, check guttering and fascia’s are secure
Always check your contents and buildings insurance is up to date. It’s important you have the right kind of insurance in place.
After a storm
- Be careful when checking for damage, check for roof damage at a safe distance and be careful of any broken glass and of fallen or damaged trees
- Be careful not to touch any electrical/telephone cables that have been blown down or are still hanging
- Take pictures of the damage and make lists, this will help in the event of making a claim
- Keep all receipts
If you have been affected by the storms, contact a member of our Claims team for advice on what to do next.