With the UK’s exit from the EU dominating the news most days, there are many areas which remain uncertain, one of which being the potential impact around your motor insurance policy.

I am sure most of you read the detail of your insurance policy and as such, you will be aware that most UK issued motor insurance policies now automatically extend your policy to cover use in Western Europe and including the EU. These certificates will remain in place until midnight on 28th March.  So, if you have a trip planned where you and your vehicle will be back in the UK before this date there is no need to panic as nothing will change for you.

In the event of a ‘no deal’ Brexit, however, after 29th March 2019, all UK citizens may require additional documentation to drive in the EU or EEA.  If you have plans for a European road trip in the next few months you must ensure that you have the correct documentation in place before you leave.

Drivers are being urged to contact their insurer to arrange a ‘Green Card’. As things currently stand, you will require this document under EU regulations as proof of insurance in the event if a no-deal.

The Association of British Insurers is advising customers to contact their insurer for a Green Card at least a month before they plan to drive their vehicle in the EU, or risk a fine, having the vehicle seized or prosecution.  The Green Card should incur no additional cost to the insured, however in some cases you may be charged a small administration fee by your insurance provider.

There may also be changes to the IDP (International Drivers Permit) which may be affected in some countries.  If you already have a permit you should check whether the country you are visiting will still accept it after the 28th March or indeed if you do not, whether you need to purchase one for your travels.


Site Navigation